Monday, October 13, 2008

Wedding Anniversary











It's hard to believe that John and I have been married almost 9 years! It has gone by so quickly! John and I met, rather were introduced, in 1998 at Brother Hansen's institute class. I was taking the class. John was visiting with a common friend. He asked me to write him (he was in the Navy at the time), I said sure, but threw his address out on the way out the door. We went on our first date about a year later on June 26, 1999 (our common friend set it up-we shamefully ditched her to be alone). We went to the All American Sports Park. I let him win at everything (he really actually won, but I'm going to say I let him). We somehow got engaged July 5, 1999 - it's all kind of a blur (yes, it was only 10 days!) We were married Oct. 16, 1999 in the St. George Temple by my sister-in-law's, Tera's, grandpa, Brother Despain. It's kind of cool since I still get to see him occasionally. I enjoy seeing him around as it reminds me of our wedding day and his advice. He told us to never go to bed angry. Well, I'm pretty sure John has never gone to bed angry, which, quite frankly makes me angrier. I never could understand how he can be so calm about everything. That first year was tough with John gone so much with the military and me expecting our first baby. I learned a great appreciation for our military families. I salute all of you! It is a GREAT sacrafice. The next year was even tougher with John, baby, and my Mom and Dad staying with us and helping with the baby while I worked and John went to school. We made it and now it seems to be getting easier. Anyway, it has been a great 9 years...I wouldn't trade it for anything.
I am very grateful for John; he is a very patient person and always giving to others. He has taught me much about service, education, but mostly about patience (I don't really mean that he tries my patience, but he doesn't that occasionally too).


John, did drop me after this picture!!!


1 comment:

Smith Family- Puerto Rico Style said...

Congratulations! You are a great couple. We miss you a ton!